Monday, April 30

i may fall, but i will rise

i hung my head for the last time
in surrender and despair
before i'm dead i'll take the last climb
up the mountain, face my fears
the time has come to make a choice
use my voice for the love of every man
my minds made up, never again
never again will i turn round

though they may surround me like lions
and crush me on all sides
i may fall, but i will rise
not by my might, or my power, or by the strength of swords
only through your love my Lord
all we've lost will be restored


take courage sons, for we must go under
the heart of darkness and set them free
but don't lose heart when you see the numbers
there's no measure for the faith we bring
it's given to us to overcome
if we run where the spirit calls us on
the greatest things have yet to come
with the dawn we will rise

though they may surround me like lions
and crush me on all sides
i may fall, but i will rise
not by my might, or my power, or by the strength of swords
only through your love my Lord
all we've lost will be restored


i may fall but i will rise.  not by MY might or power or strength but only through HIS love.  all i've lost will be restored.  the greatest things have yet to come.
this is what i need to hear.  it's the end of the semester.  classes end in 2 days.  exams will be in one week.  i'll be home all summer, with shadowing and job, something i've not done.  i'm applying to physician assistant schools, not knowing if i'll get in any.  i'll be returning to school as a senior, my last year of undergraduate.  people everywhere i turn are getting engaged and married (which i'm so happy for them, don't get me wrong!), while i still sit here wondering if a guy will ever choose me.  i'm constantly being attacked mentally (and somewhat physically though that's debatable) by the devil, trying to get me to believe that i'm too much but not enough at the same time, creating doubts about everything under the sun from my identity to my friends to God.  i feel like i'm striving for something i'll never reach, knowing i never will because i'm reaching by my might and power, not through the love of the Lover of my soul.  it's hard, actually impossible, to be so busy and still try to walk confidently in the light when i'm leaning on my own power.  these things, these demands and worries and doubts, may surround me like lions, crushing me on all sides, but by His love and power i will rise and all that's lost will be restored.  there is no measure to the faith he gives to overcome, the greatest things have yet to come.

"no temptation has seized you except what is common to man.  and God is faithful; He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear.  but when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." -1 corinthians 10:13






if you haven't listened to josh garrels, you should.  this is the lyrics to rise on his album love & war & the sea in between.  they're smooth listening, but if you stop and listen to the words they have real power. plus his voice just has that something that just expresses the soul.

No comments: